A one-on-one meeting with a professional in the field you’re interested in pursuing. Unlike a job interview, you must request the meeting and set the agenda.
- Once you’ve found a person you’re interested in talking to, ask them to have a 20-minute phone call or inperson meeting.
- Keep an open mind. Remember—you’re trying to gather insights.
- Prepare thoroughly! Research the person’s background and their organization.
- Compile a list of at least ten questions you’d like to ask.
- Never ask for a internship or job—that is not the purpose of a career conversation.
- Feel free to find out if this person has any other contacts who you could speak with.
- Follow up with a thankyou note—preferably handwritten (page 28).